So, I was messing around with my pump and meter tonight, the night before my pump training and go live day. Don’t do this by the way.
I downloaded the food database from the meter and wanted to add a few custom foods in there, ready for tomorrow.
I added some foods (after deleting a few to make room for them. The meter only holds 500 foods, and comes full from the factory).
I made the changes and uploaded the new food database to the meter. After the software told me “Upload completed”, I unplugged the USB connection.
I then turned the meter on, to check what I changed was there. The screen went dark and said “Error 1. Contact Customer Support”. Uh, oh.
This isn’t the first time I’ve broken stuff by fiddling around with it. I like to get under the hood of things and figure out how they work, which sometimes causes me problems. I should have just left alone until after my training.
I turned it off, then on again. Same error. I pulled the batteries. Same error. So, I called the support folks.
Unfortunately, the software people had gone home for the night, but the rep mentioned that “food database issues” need to be troubleshooted by this team which had gone home. That got me thinking….
I opened the software again and connected the meter. I uploaded a blank food database to the meter, basically wiping out the entire database. I then closed the software and waited for the meter to shut down by itself. I then disconnected it from the computer and turned it on…..Viola. The error was gone and I had a functioning meter again.
Not satisfied with this, (I know, I know), I re-opened the software, opened the food database that I’d saved to my computer, and tried to re-upload it. Once it was done, closed the software, waited for the meter to shut off, then disconnected it. Turned it back on, and it worked, and all the food info was there!!
I think what I did, which wasn’t documented anywhere, was to pull the meter out of the computer without letting it disconnect properly; corrupting the food database and causing it to error.
The software is written in Java, and using serial port connections to communicate. Certainly not 2011 technology, but I understand why Animas did it. They need software that will run across platforms and run on virtually any computer. Java, while slow, cludgy, ugly, user unfriendly, did I mention ugly, will run on any operating system. Develop once and deploy everywhere.
BTW – On my Mac, I had a terrible time getting the USB-Serial cables to work, until I remembered that months ago, I’d told my Macbook to boot into the 64 bit Kernel by default, because I wanted a more stable system. Even though the software and cable drivers all said they were 64 bit ready, I tried booting into 32 bit and the cables were instantly recognized, and everything worked perfectly.
Most people would never run into this problem. Apple, in their wisdom, sets Snow Leopard, a 64 bit OS, to boot into 32 bit by default, probably for exactly the reason I experienced here. Some older tech just isn’t ready for 64 bit.
Hopefully this post will help just ONE person out there. I had spent hours googling what could be wrong with these drivers without success.
Can’t wait until tomorrow.